88
Monday August 3
Birthday card and present opening came first, which meant a late arrival for Snettisham high tide. The mud was still wet, despite the already hot sunshine, distant groups of waders could occasionally be seen flying along the shore. i did manage to find a Little Tern hovering near the Oystercatchers.
Hopes were not high when Pam reversed down the causeway so that I could scope the end reserve pit. Scope views showed that the, apparently rock and pebble strewn islands, were thousands of birds. Looking directly into the sun, I could identify Black-tailed Godwits, Dunlin, Redshank, and Knot, from size and beak length etc. What else was amongst them? So frustrating. Even viewing from the Rotary Hide would not help. Shore Hide would be better, but that was beyond our walking capabilities.
I took a few photos, hoping that I could zoom in on the birds on my P.C. at home. I managed to add Common Tern, and Bar-tailed Godwit to my list.
The white blobs left of the New Hide are Spoonbills. Sue B counted 51 earlier. I can only see about 30 here. The near island holds a solid mass of Knot.
The far left was fully occupied too.
Parking near the chalets, we ate my birthday lunch of Gregg's bacon roll (there's an outlet at Fakenham Morrison's), whilst watching a few birds start to fly out into the wash.
Holme NWT car park was full - we were told by a volunteer standing by the entry gate. We're NOA too we said, so he waved us on. He then mentioned that the cafe and shop were closed. That was the ice-cream stop done for. We drove out again. Neither of us is fond of Mr Whippy type cones. I remembered the stall at Drove Orchards. The stall has gone, a new Gelati shop has opened near where the barn used to be. New to us any way.Pam had her usual Salted Caramel whilst she chose a Blackberry and Blueberry for me. New flavour, but very acceptable.
Holkham added Marsh Harrier, Lapwing and Grey Heron. North Point Pools was more frustration. I could see waders along the far edge of the reeds but the heat haze and distance made positive identification impossible.
This is always how I choose to spend my birthday. Unlike Pam, I have never added a good bird to my list on this day. Her birthday is in October, when we were usually on Scilly. Her birthday list is amazing.





Comments
Post a Comment