New Eyes
Sunday September 26
Both eyes now cataract free, I can see better than I have for years. Able to read the newspaper and to watch TV without the help of glasses - my glasses are now useless. In a few weeks time I shall be able to get a new prescription, then I can read the questions on Pointless and work comfortable at my PC.
After our usual leisurely start, with calls at Sharrington for fruit and Greggs for lunch, we arrived at Brancaster Staithe. Considering that it was a sunny Sunday, the place was very quiet. The usual small queue at the Crab Shed, no-one on the Mound. The tide was well out, we entertained ourselves watching a few people preparing to paddle across to the other shore. The water, although not narrow was barely ankle deep. A few Bar-tailed Godwits flew in to feed avidly on the wet mud. Pam spotted a very distant Curlew and Little Egret, a few Herring Gulls began to gather around us. Although not regular feeders of bread to birds, I only eat half of the lunchtime bread roll. The gulls dived in. In the middle of them, a juvenile made no attempt to feed itsel, but constantly begged for food from the adults.
It went hungry.
A Jackdaw strode in to see if there was anything left . I asked it to move further away, it didn't.
Burnham Ovary had two more groups of paddlers. One lot had ankle deep water, the others perturbed by calf high water, but it stopped at that. A Norfolk Ice-cream van provided dessert, before driving on to Holkham gateway. Apart from some unidentifiable geese in front of the Joe Jordan hide (why him), there were no other birds in view. Until the Belted Galloway herd started to appear below some trees, with their three accompanying Cattle Egrets. There could have been more, but only three showed at once.
I spent some time at Wells Pools, scoping the filled with brown ducks water. Almost all were Wigeon, a few Teal and one Shoveller. A rapidly increasing goose noise heralded the arrival of my first Pink-footed Geese of the Autumn.
I enlarged a small section of one photo. My programme would not allow me to lighten it.
Home to watch the final overs of the third 50 over cricket match against Sri Lanka, which England won easily.
8 Jul 2004 — Joe Jordan was a voluntary warden at Stiffkey Marsh prior to his death a few years back. Born and bred at Stiffkey he was a proper old Norfolk boy.




Comments
Post a Comment